Creating hyperlinks in PDF from Word source doc

Mon Apr 12 06:43:06 PDT 2010

Jon Harvey wrote:

> I have a Word document in which all entries in the TOC are hyperlinked.
> The problem is that the hyperlinks do not work when the document is
> printed to a PDF. I'm using the Rich Content PDF job option in distiller
> 8.0. The Word doc is  in docx format opened in Word 2003.
>
> I've opend the Rich Content PDF.jopoptions file in Wordpad and verified
> that it says "/IncludeHyperlinks true", so I don't think it's been
> tampered with.
>
> I may be making this harder than it should be but I don't see any
> options for solving the problem. What gives?

Are you using the Acrobat plug-in for Word, or are you simply printing to Adobe PDF? To get working hyperlinks from Word, you must have the plug-in installed (which happens automatically if you install Acrobat after Word/Office) and use it, not print to PDF.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.