Strategy for Handling Conditional Text

William Abernathy william at inch.com
Mon Apr 12 09:56:23 PDT 2010

Joseph:

What you are describing is exactly the sort of situation conditional text was
designed for. From the sound of things, you're bothered by the basic logic of
conditional text. You are not the first writer to experience this, and you will
not be the last. Nonetheless, I have a hard time imagining how adding another
layer of complexity is going to help you over that hump. My advice, good for
what you paid for it, is to put your chin into the breeze and perfect your
conditional text technique. With time, you will master it, and it will become
less confusing.

Concerning the specific issue you address, one way of dealing with the paragraph
mark issue is simply to get into the habit of adding a space to the end of every
line. Once upon a time, when memory was expensive, and mighty lizards ruled the
land, leaving an extra byte of padding at the end of a line was a pretty
profligate use of memory. Time to get over this. Adding an extra space character
makes not picking up the paragraph tag much easier. As for tracking, you need to
force your reviewers into reviewing a Windows draft and a Linux draft. I've
managed this with change bars only, and in newer versions of Frame, your
tracking only gets better.

Good luck,

--William

--