Strategy for Handling Conditional Text

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 09:57:21 PDT 2010

> Whatever you do, _don't_ conditionalize a word here or there. That's what leads to problems.

Very wise! I've had to clean up many documents that were poorly
conditioned to the word level. It can certainly be done well, but it's
not for the conditional text novice by any means. Kiddies, don't try
this at home. ;)

I do think that limiting to the paragraph level is a bit restrictive
though. I think that with just a drop of discipline you can get away
with going down to the full sentence level, but I wouldn't go more
granular than that. You need to set a conditional use guideline and
adhere to it. I suggest conditioning at the sentence level from the
first character in the sentence straight through to the period or to
the space after the period if the sentence has others following it.
This way you will never have odd run-in formatting from sentence to
sentence.

A lot of people over-think their use of conditions. Keep it simple
(which your needs are) and stick to rules about applying them

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.