Graphic Elements in Frame 9 Template

Pete Roebber pete.roebber at pt.com
Wed Apr 14 11:29:30 PDT 2010

I am attempting to implement my company's new design for manuals in a
Frame template and am running into a problem. The new design calls for a
graphical element running across the bottom of every page. Another
graphical element appears on every chapter title page. A third graphical
element appears at the top of every left-hand page and a fourth graphical
element appears at the top of every right-hand page. So every page has at
least two graphical elements, not counting any graphics that might appear
in the text.

I have imported the graphical elements by reference into the master page
for each page type. The graphical elements are Adobe Illustrator graphics.

Although the pages look like they are supposed to, it takes ~6x as long to
print a manual to PDF using this template and the PDF file size is ~3x
larger than it was using the old template that had only one small
graphical element on each chapter title page. Is there a better way to
implement this design, or do I have to reconcile myself to >1 hour print
times and mach larger PDFs?

Thanks,

Pete
FrameMaker 9.0 p250