Cross-references and text insets

Wed Apr 21 13:05:29 PDT 2010

Steve Johnson wrote:

> That is interesting. I was wondering if Adobe had fixed problems like
> this. I think the best bet would be to never use cross-references in
> text insets.
>
> We found with Frame 6 that if you cross-reference inside-to-inside,
> inside-to-outside, or outside-to-inside that at least one of those
> would result in dead links in the PDF so I stopped doing that.

It's the first two; links within a text inset don't become live in the PDF (AFAIK, that's still true in FM9, but I haven't actually tested it). The workaround I've used successfully is to "flatten" the text insets (convert to text) just before saving as PDF, and then close the FM files _without saving_. If you have to do it a bunch, it's an eminently scriptable process, which eliminates the inevitable human error of forgetting not to save. :-}

> Your problem is different but it still shows there are issues with
> cross-references and text insets.

Actually, unlike the dead link problem, Peter's problem isn't really an "issue" or bug that Adobe can fix. If the exact same cross-reference destination marker occurs in multiple places in a document (which is the case when the same text inset occurs in multiple places), how is FM supposed to decide which one you want to point to?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom