Cross-references and text insets

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:02:42 PDT 2010

> That is interesting. I was wondering if Adobe had fixed problems like
> this. I think the best bet would be to never use cross-references in
> text insets.
>
> We found with Frame 6 that if you cross-reference inside-to-inside,
> inside-to-outside, or outside-to-inside that at least one of those
> would result in dead links in the PDF so I stopped doing that.
>
> Your problem is different but it still shows there are issues with
> cross-references and text insets.

It's really inherent in the nature of text insets. The whole point of using a text inset is to use the exact same content in multiple locations so that you only have to write/edit/maintain it in one place.

But if you are trying to cross-reference to some x-ref marker that is at some location within the text inset, how is *any* tool supposed to know which instance of the replicated content you really want to link to?

And since any given text inset may get used in a large number of container documents, how is a cross-refernce that is located inside the inset supposed to know which possible location in which possible container document it is supposed to be referring to?

-Fred Ridder