hexadecimal paragraph counter

Dick Spierings d.spierings at fluidwell.com
Tue Apr 27 03:41:03 PDT 2010

Dear Framers,

For a series of technical manuals I am asked to describe sections with
menu items. In the device these items are numbered numerically from 1 to
9 and then (due to lack of available digits) numbering continues
alphanumerically with A, B, C etc.

To make life easy for both reader and myself I need a section numbering
mechanism that corresponds to the devices menu numbers (so 1 ...9,
A...F). In fact, a hexadecimal numbering format would do as I never have
more than 15 items in a row (meaning that I will never go beyond F).

I might be able to find a solution based on manual numbering, but this
is too error prone and labor intensive: I am talking about a series of
roughly 100 manuals, all based on the same concept. Some have more menu
options, some less. Some may even have some menu options in reverse
order. I therefore want to define text insets for each menu item and
import each menu option in a specific order in each book. I was thinking
of using the paragraph numbering (counter) mechanism to keep track of
the menu ID number. But this counter is only available as numeric,
alphanumeric or roman. I need Hex (or alike)!

If someone has a solution for me, it would be very grateful. I work with
FM9 unstructured.

Vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Dick Spierings

' +31 (0)413 343786