Utility for Book-Level Searches for Tracked Text Edits

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Tue Apr 27 23:56:04 PDT 2010

Hi,

> Format > Document > Change Bars shows that something on the
> line changed, but isn't specific about what changed. Can be
> searched for using the Find dialog though.

Change bars are a character property. Therefore you can search
for them on the book level. In the Find dialog select "Character
Format". Then deselect everything via SHIFT + F8 and click on
"Change Bar" until this option is selected. Then you can search
for changed text on the book level.

However, as others noted, change bars do not show what exactly has
changed. A work-around would be to search for text with change bars
and then apply a specific condition or character format.

Change bars do not indicate, when something was deleted.
Therefore I prefer the Track Text Edits.

If you want to search for Track Text Edit conditions on the book level
you have to wait for FrameMaker 10. (I do not know anything about  the
new features, but still we can hope.)
Or you ask someone to write a FrameScript script.

Best regards

Winfried