Structuring documents (was RE: Adobe's New Corporate Strategies)

LW White lwwhite5 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 13:19:29 PDT 2010

Having converted tens of thousands of pages, my opinion is that there is no entirely simple, painless and quick way to transition. Some of the things that other responses have mentioned can make the process simpl*er* and quick*er* but I doubt there will ever be a push-button-voila-we're-done solution. Even if you do get a smooth conversion from unstructured to structured as far as the mechanics, odds are some material will still need to be rewritten or reorganized. Authors writing in an unstructured environment rarely, if ever, write using a flow that naturally falls into a structure and so there is usually a post-conversion need to reorg. Of course, a content audit and rewrite before the conversion will mitigate much of that, but you just move some work from downstream to upstream.

I will also say, without hesitation, that converting from unstructured to structured is absolutely time well-spent. If your content is a good candidate for structure (and not all is), you will never regret the time and effort you put into the conversion.

Best,
Leigh