Structuring documents (was RE: Adobe's New Corporate Strategies)

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 30 14:10:30 PDT 2010

Albeit, we did it with a two-person team and in small chunks, but we didn't have an expert for almost any of the process (except taking an introduction course with Bernard so we could hit the ground speed walking).

We use FM9, which has its own DTD and EDD for DITA. We've learned on our own how to tweak the EDD according to our own needs.

We converted unstructured to structured manually without automated conversion.

We use FM9 to output our PDFs, and WebWorks ePublisher to create our HTML output. ePub's DITA FM to HTML works wonderfully well.

We updated/reorganized/rewrote our content ourselves to fit the DITA model.

We had a coop student learn to use DITA within a few weeks while he was also learning to use FM.

All this while we were also creating new content.

I admit, I put in a lot of hours in last year, and we've made mistakes along the way, but we've learned from them. All in all, it was well worth it for us. The proof of the pudding (to management) was when we were able to take a two-volume documentation set and turn it into a seven-volume set within a couple of days.

It's not for everyone, I agree. But--I don't know...call it sheer bloody mindedness--I wanted it badly enough to do it anyway.

Nadine