FrameMaker and Version Control Software

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Tue Aug 3 11:29:23 PDT 2010

FM 9 Version: 9.0p250
Unstructured
OS: XP Pro with SP3
FM Experience: 13 months
Writing Experience: 15 years
Writing Team: 1 (me)

I started asking question last week about backups on my version control database and it turns out that no backups are done (as the sole writer, I am the only user of the Documentation database).

The Lead Software engineer has been trying to get me to change from Microsoft's Visual Source Safe to the open source product that the R&D department has switched to: Subversion. The problem is, he's never given me any compelling reasons to change and his description of how Subversion works hasn't made me want to make the switch.

After talking with one of the hardware engineers today, I can now see reasons:

-          Microsoft's has very strict "use" recommendations (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb509342) which really mean I shouldn't be using VSS anymore as I fall outside the 3-5 Gb guideline (after 4-1/2 years, my db is now 17 Gb). Database corruption is a real threat
-          contrary to what I was led to believe, you *can* actually lock files on checkout. Apparently the programmers don't use this functionality but as I foresee a second writer at some point, locking files seems pretty important to me

What do other people use for version control of documentation files? Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with either of these specific programs?

FYI: Not only do I keep FM files in VSS, I also keep all my image files and my older Word-based docs.

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation
Tel: (604) 279-8550, ext 127
E-mail: alison.craig at ultrasonix.com<mailto:alison.craig at ultrasonix.com>