RANT: FM 9.0 -

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Tue Aug 3 22:13:23 PDT 2010

> You should post this where it has a chance of doing some good, on the
> Adobe forum. My understanding is that Frame 9 was developed entirely
> overseas, safely away from anyone who might give them adverse but
> useful feedback.

> It's a big company thing to do: play up the window dressing without
> fussing too much with anything else.

I wouldn't call it window dressing. I work with a lot of graphics in my
documents. The Anchored Frame dialog, Object Properties, Runaround
Properties other other dialogue boxes can now stay on screen for easy
access. The Inset pod lists all graphics in a document and makes it easy to
jump to them. There's also a Fonts pod that lists fonts in a document and
makes it easy to substitute different fonts. You can set up workspaces that
display only the panels/pods you want and change workspaces with a click.
And more.

I sure wouldn't besmirch the gang in India for their work on FM. Look at all
the changes they've made in versions 8.0 and 9.0.-- like Unicode, for
starters.  Compared to when development was in the U.S., you can see things
happening. I've been using FM since version 6.0. Versions 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2
were so little different that few upgraded. If you didn't use DITA, there
wasn't much sense in it. And when we've reported bugs, the Indian gang has
actually responded, worked with us, and fixed most of them. They've been
quiet lately. No doubt they've been busy reading the next new version. Based
on past cycles, it's due out anytime. I look forward to it.

Mike Wickham