RANT: FM 9.0

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 10:26:32 PDT 2010

My fundamental problem is that the new windowing model isn't properly exposed in
the API.  Also, it has some problems.  Open a book, then open all files in
book.  Especially if it has many files, you get funny results -- the document
windows nest within each other.  I've raised this issue a number of times, and
nobody seems to notice.  I can't be the only person experiencing it.  And forget
about using Maker documents as a GUI for your plugins.  There's just not enough
control.

I think the plan is that you're supposed to have all windows fully expanded so
it looks more like an IDE (or RoboHelp).  I guess that's cool, but you often
want to see docs side by side so you can copy/paste between them.  I suspect the
GUI changes were made by formula, rather than using a real design process based
on:
* User Profiles
* Problem Statements
* Use Cases
* Feature Design

It would be interesting to know how many authors want to work in a system that
behaves like a coding IDE.  It would be interesting to know how many separate
use cases the new GUI explicitly addresses.  Or how many problems it fixes.  In
short, what *are* the wins for this new GUI, compared to the cost?  It could
well be that the new GUI is well worth it, and I'm just an old fart.

OTOH, if the plan was to just "make it look like other Adobe products" without
any underlying design, then it's not surprising that legacy users can't find
logic behind the new look and feel.  Most other Adobe products are designed for
things other than text.  I Iguess I need to work with the ID GUI before I make
any more pronouncements...

cud