Acrobat 9 - a disaster

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Wed Aug 11 10:10:18 PDT 2010

Hi Troy,

You have indeed identified a very good and valid reason to want to test your PDF files under Reader as opposed to the full Adobe Acrobat product. Similar issues are use of sophisticated Javascript and forms capabilities in PDF files.

However, I still believe and insist that if you try to test with Reader on the same physical and logical system on which you have created your PDF, you are seriously compromising your testing. Why?

(1)          If you have both Reader and Acrobat installed in parallel, only one of these two "owns" the .PDF extension for purposes of double-clicking in places such as Windows Explorer, browsers, and e-mail clients and it is not easy to do a switcherooni to cause one or the other of Reader or Acrobat to "own" the PDF extension. Except for the browser, the last installed "wins." Too easy to find yourself in the "wrong" client due to this.

(2)          The typical authoring system is much better endowed in terms of hardware and software resources than the typical client system (yes, I know that many technical writers end up with ancient, engineering hand-me-downs, but you'd be surprised how good those are compared to the typical enterprise client system which is often running on ancient hardware and much older software versions. Such clients are often running on memory and disk constrained systems with limited network access, only the system fonts installed (those provided with the OS), old e-mail clients versions, old browser versions, and ancient versions of Adobe Reader (7 or earlier).

As such, you really should be running your PDF file testing in a "sandbox" with limited resources. This sandbox could take the form of old hand-me-down systems with the barest software configuration installed or perhaps even a virtualized system using VMWare or similar products. The latter solution doesn't simulate limited hardware resources, but it would allow you to have virtual limited software setups for a number of old versions of Reader and for that matter, other less-capable PDF "readers" from third parties that your documents' receivers may be using. And if you are really serious about this, you might also setup a not-quite-up-to-date Macintosh and test what happens when your PDF files are opened up with the MacOS Preview program (often not a very pretty site).

                - Dov