Image Scaling in FM9

Sat Aug 14 11:32:06 PDT 2010

Hayward, Morgan (Bolton) wrote:

> We have a PNG image that is 4.5" wide and has a resolution of 300 dpi.
> When we import this image into FrameMaker 8.0, it automatically detects
> the resolution and sets the scaling to 100%.  FrameMaker 9.0, however,
> does not detect the resolution and automatically sets the scaling to 24%
> when we tell it the resolution is 300 dpi.
>

> We want the image to display at 100% of its original size.  Why does
> FrameMaker 9.0 say the size is 24%?

Is the resolution _really_ 300 dpi? If so, the graphic should be 300 x 4.5, or 1350 pixels wide. (If it's a screen shot, it can't be 300 dpi; you can set that value as a "hint" in some graphics programs, but no one has a 300 dpi monitor. A screen capture is generally 72 - 96 dpi.)

>From the way you describe the process, it sounds like you're pasting this graphic. Don't do that. Import it with File > Import File (you are saving these graphics as files, right?). When you import a file, FM doesn't automatically scale it. You decide.

When you import a PNG file, FM displays the Imported Graphic Scaling dialog. It shows the pixel dimensions of the graphic at the bottom and offers several dpi options, plus Custom dpi. For each option, the resulting dimensions on the page are shown (this is just simple math: divide the dpi into the pixel width and height).

If your graphic is really 1350 pixels wide, then the 300 dpi setting should show a width of 4.5". If your graphic has some other pixel width, divide that by 4.5, set Custom dpi to that value, and click Set.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.