Converting Excel Tables to Structured FM Tables

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Wed Dec 1 06:09:47 PST 2010

Hello Fei Min

One method that I have used in the past is to convert the Word table to text (tab-delimited). Then in structured FrameMaker (assuming you're using a CALS table model):

1. Insert the table element or equivalent, but no child elements. In CALS the table element is the *container* for the actual table.
2. With your insertion point inside the table element, paste whole text as unformatted text (Paste Special).
3. Select the whole text (double-click to the right of the table element).
4. On the Table menu, choose Convert to Text.
5. Choose the Tab option, and the tgroup (or whatever) element. Only those elements that are valid at this spot will appear as options. Choose the number of heading rows.
6. Click Convert.

Works like a charm!

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth