Converting Excel Tables to Structured FM Tables

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Thu Dec 2 06:24:46 PST 2010

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! Roger, I'll save your procedure
because I managed to do that once, but couldn't do it again. When I
paste the text, even using paste special, it's so small that it's
unreadable and I freak out and delete it, thinking it's unusable. But if
I select it like you said (double-clicking to the right of the table
element), then everything works out fine.

At the risk of repeating, here's Roger's procedure:
"Then in structured FrameMaker (assuming you're using a CALS table
model):

1. Insert the table element or equivalent, but no child elements. In
CALS the table element is the *container* for the actual table.
2. With your insertion point inside the table element, paste whole text
as unformatted text (Paste Special).
3. Select the whole text (double-click to the right of the table
element).
4. On the Table menu, choose Convert to Table.
5. Choose the Tab option, and the tgroup (or whatever) element. Only
those elements that are valid at this spot will appear as options.
Choose the number of heading rows.
6. Click Convert."

Gary, the XML conversion is a novel idea. If I have a lot of these to do
next time, I might give that a try.

In the meantime, I went with pasting the Excel tables into unstructured
FrameMaker, then using a conversion table on them. It took me about an
hour to get the conversion table right (I'm a bit rusty), but I'll save
it for next time. The trick is to put it somewhere that I can find two
years from now! And I think that Roger's way might be faster.

Fei Min