FM 6 and FM 8 in the same computer

Thu Dec 9 09:59:44 PST 2010

Clara Hall wrote:

> I successfully installed both FM6 and FM 8 on the same computer.  For some
> reason, FM 6 stopped working.  I tried re-installing, cleaning my registry,
> uninstalling FM 8.  When inquiring about it, a couple of people told me
> that
> it is not possible to install 2 versions at the same time.

You can have as many versions as you want, each in its own directory, all working just fine. Right now, I have both 7.2 and 9. I used to have 6 as well. Some people have 4 versions coexisting.

The only caveat is that the file associations (for *.fm, *.book, etc.) will point to the last version installed unless you manually change them in Windows Explorer. So if you install FM 6 last, and then double-click a *.fm file created in FM 8, FM 6 will try to open it and tell you it can't.

The workaround: first, make sure the file associations point to the version in which you do most of your work; then, when you need to work in the other version, open it first and then open the file via File > Open instead of by double-clicking it in Explorer.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.