FM 9 and SGML

Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh at cap-studio.de
Mon Dec 13 22:50:47 PST 2010

Am 13.12.2010 um 15:54 schrieb Michael Johnson <k7rvx at yahoo.com>:

> My employer wants to know how tough it would be generate our technical manuals in SGML and submit the .SGM files to our customer directly without going through an out-of-house service provider who turns our Word and FM offerings into SGML.
>
> I know FM9 can generate structured XML, but what about SGML?

Mike,

FrameMaker can do SGML, the structured parts were invented in the late 1990s. But who would want to use SGML nowadays? XML is a standard since 2000, there are far more XML tools and solutions around and it is ages better if you think about translating any of your documents.

SGML crosses my way only in solutions dating back 5 or more years, for historical reasons. Everyone is planning to switch to XML.

- Michael