tabs in table cells, eh wot?

Fri Feb 5 12:54:48 PST 2010

Ken Poshedly wrote:

> Yep, I know about (but forgot to mention) the Esc-Tab sequence within a
> table cell.
>
> However, the tables (all 150 or so) are already in place for this book, so
> I may either forget it this time or else Esc-Tab away.
>
> I was just hoping for an automatic (i.e., paragraph tag or similar) way so
> that I wouldn't have to go back and manually do this.

IMHO, a table with no ruling lines, but with leader dots just "floating" between two columns, sounds rather odd and ugly (but then, I'm not known for my aesthetic abilities). And any kludge you come up with for getting the leader dots in there is going to either require writing and testing a script or doing it manually, cell by cell or pgf by pgf for all 150 tables.

I suggest you _seriously_ consider Stuart's recommendation of alternate shaded rows. You could use the 10% black that you're currently using for the heading row and make the heading row 20% black or put a ruling line below it or something. This change could be accomplished in minutes for all 150 tables -- make the format definition changes in Table Designer and Update All, and you're done.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom