tables and translation

Mon Feb 8 07:34:36 PST 2010

Andersen, Verner wrote:

> When we translated our manual from English to German via the Trados
> translation workbench it turned out that many of columns in tables
were
> too small. The result was that a letter or two wre placed in line two
of
> the column.
>
> I fixed this in the files I received from the translator but would
like
> to fix it in my English source so that I won't have to do this again
in
> the next release.
> My plan was to open a copy ofthe English files and manually compare
all
> tables with those in the German files.
>
> Originally I used tables from the table designer by I  fear that many
of
> them habe been manually modified.
>
> Do you have any suggestions about how to handle the task?
> I know that a Framescript can solve the issue, I am in doubt whether
it
> will be too costly compared to the one time manual work.

You don't need FrameScript. Get Rick Quatro's TableCleaner plugin:

http://frameexpert.com/plugins/tablecleaner/index.htm

Its Resize Table Columns command should make quick work of your problem.
Check it out here:

http://frameexpert.com/plugins/tablecleaner/resizetablecolumns.htm

That said, it seems to me that a competent localization vendor would
take care of that for you. Ours does. Of course, I'm sure the cost is
built into bid. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.