FM9 crashes non stop on Vista 64 bits [RESOLVED]

Thu Feb 11 07:28:07 PST 2010

Peter Gold wrote:

> Just reading all the maintenance in the technote is exhausting.
> Performing all the steps could become one's new career.

I think it's a pretty good troubleshooting guide, with much of it applicable to troubleshooting any software problem, not specific to FM. And as with any troubleshooting/diagnostic procedure, you continue only until you've identified the problem. So hopefully, you never have to perform _all_ the steps. :-)

> Aside from Adobe building 64-bit Windows Vista compatibility into
> FrameMaker 9, developing and offering a couple of utilities that
> report some of the system information that needs to be collected. For
> example, checking the OS version and patch level, RAM, disk free
> space, listing files in %temp%, currently-running applications, VRAM,
> video-card driver, etc, and reporting the information with comments
> where appropriate, such as "These resources don't meet requirements:
> (list them)."

Virtually everything on that list is available in the System Information utility that you can access from the About box of an MS Office application. Alternatively, you can use one of the bazillion freeware/shareware sys info/diagnostic utilities available. There's no need for Adobe to add yet another to the pile.

This is standard information about your system that a support tech would probably ask you for and that you should know or know how to find.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom