single character page numbering (with no hyphen)

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 15 18:14:28 PST 2010

FM8.0 on a Windows Vista platform

I'm sure there's a simple answer for this, but I've really tried all
I can think of and can't seem to find a way to get rid of the
preceding hyphen for a page number within a footer.

Like it or not, I'm trying to place just a single, lower-case Roman
numeral in the footer of my TOC. So with the file open and Master
Pages view selected, I choose Format > Headers & Footers > Insert Page #

What I get is a hyphen preceding the pound-sign variable or
placeholder or whatever it is.

I've checked Format > Document > Numbering and tried to make sure
there is nothing in the Chapter box.

I've checked Format > Paragraph Designer > Numbering (just to see if
a hyphen is included in the numbering equation) but there is no
numbering scheme to found there at all.

I've checked Special > Variable > Edit Definition and deleted the
unnecessary building blocks for Current Page # (leaving only
<$curpagenum> with no preceding hyphen) and, for whatever reason,
that didn't work.

Note that in the rest of the book, I do use a chapter number with
hyphen with page number combo. But I don't want it that way in the
TOC and I don't want to designate the TOC as section 0. No comments,
please, on my choice of document or numbering decisions.

So short of actually typing in an i and an ii and so on, what else to do?

-- Kenpo in Atlanta