FrameMaker vs InDesign book files

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 28 02:46:34 PST 2010

At 14:39 -0500 27/2/10, Rick Quatro wrote:

>I thought maybe scripting could come to the rescue, since InDesign has a lot
>of scripting choices (AppleScript on Mac, VBScript on PC, JavaScript on
>both). My thought was to write a script that would loop through the
>duplicated book's files and point them to the files in the duplicated
>folder. Unfortunately, the fullName property for each book component is
>read-only so you can't programmatically change it.

Ah. Bummer.

>By the way, the paths to each component in a FrameMaker book are actually
>stored internally as absolute, but when you open the book, FrameMaker
>"resolves" the paths, and treats them as relative, if possible.

That's interesting. You're the expert, so I'd never try to gainsay you, but I thought I'd see use of './' and ../' path notation in MUF (although I've not looked very hard). Maybe you mean that filenames are absolute in FrameMaker binary files.

I am limited v-a-v FrameSccript, not just for time and lack of knowledge, but because my current configuration is FrameMaker on Mac. This will have to change soon enough, but I don't see the need to change (cost of new machine) until there is... well, good need.

Thanks for the other interesting material.

--
Steve