How to find "Unavailable Fonts"

Mon Jan 11 13:00:37 PST 2010

Syed.Hosain wrote:

> The *real* problem is that I need to regen and fix the Contents and
> Index files since they are not being updated when the book is being
> updated (that is an issue in itself) - and so far this font problem is
> getting in the way of *that* activity. Sigh ...

Syed, are you saying the book update fails even after you open all the
files, acknowledging the prompts about font substitution?

As I pointed out in my reply Sunday, a book update will fail if some of
the files are closed and FM can't silently open and scan them in the
background. And that's the case if there are missing fonts (or
unresolved xrefs). But once the files are all open, the book update
should succeed.

If you have all the files open, and the book update still fails,
something very odd is going on, and it may have nothing to do with the
missing fonts. Are you getting any kind of error message (check the
Console) after you try to update? Are the time stamps of the generated
files changing when you do a book update, or do they remain unchanged?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom