Creating Graphic Buttons

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Jan 12 03:16:48 PST 2010

Donald,

You wrote:

>... Next step is to make navigation from one PDF back to the previous one
>work. When I use the Open Document as New hypertext marker, the
>button/link doesn't work.

This hypertext marker opens a new, untitled FM document (eg from
a template), and indeed it is not converted to PDF.

>But the Open Document hypertext marker is
>fine, but when clicking on it, the new pdf opens in the same window.
>This is not a huge problem as I could put a link back to the original
>doc in the second one, or the user could use the previous view button in
>the reader.... but mine was turned off by default....

There is a local Acrobat/Reader preference which controls whether
cross-file links open in a new window or same window.

FrameMaker cannot control this. It can be controlled through
through distilling with FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
(for more info / examples, see http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF10.html )

Another possibility to control this behavior, with various limitations,
is through Acrobat JavaScript code added to the PDF after it is created.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" 1-hour web training sessions