Frame xml to sgml conversion

Kevin Farwell kevinf at dim.com
Wed Jan 13 12:35:01 PST 2010

Hello,

The DTD is an arbitrary document. There should be no limit within
FrameMaker. You may need to create a custom structured application,
but that can mean as little as an hour's work, depending on the
target DTD. Granted, it can also mean a week's work, depending on the
target DTD.

Assuming an acceptable cost of customization, I think converting the
unstructured FrameMaker files to the correct structure in FrameMaker
and then saving them as SGML would be the most efficient process.
Converting them with Mif2Go or other tools of that kind would be a
quick way to SGML, but no conversion is 100% efficient. The last 5%
or 10% is always done by hand. (I consider ten or twenty XSLT or
regex operations to fix specific errors hand work.) I like
FrameMaker's graphic interface for that last bit. Some tools, like
Arbortext, won't open a mostly valid file. FrameMaker will open it
and tell you exactly what's wrong.

Either method, converting in FrameMaker or converting with another
tool, will require a conversion map (styles to elements, and then
elements within other elements) of some kind. It's impossible to say
which would be the more difficult in your case, but I've always found
FrameMaker easy to work with in that respect. The nesting command
syntax is basically DTD syntax.

Kevin