Mif2Go Help?

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Jan 14 15:45:37 PST 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:50:50 -0700, "Hales-Crotchett, Nicole"
<nicole.hales-crotchett at lmco.com> wrote:

>I'm working with the demo version of Mif2Go so I can
>create a Word version of my tech manuals (long story
>short: ancient customer demands Word for delivery).
>I'm having some difficulty getting the output to look
>like my Frame files...

Indeed, Word is not Frame, and many Frame features
simply cannot be replicated in it.  See par. 5.1,
"Converting to Word: a one-way street", for a very
detailed analysis of these issues.

>it doesn't help any that the magic "huh?" button doesn't
>seem to call up any of the help files (can't display the
>web page).

Perhaps you overlooked this comment on the Download
page:

 NOTE: When you unzip the distribution and double-click
 on the CHM, you get a "Security Warning" from Windows,
 and see the contents pane but nothing in the topic pane.
 You need to either tell Windows to stop worrying about
 CHMs, or right-click the CHM in Explorer, select
 Properties, and click Unblock. Details in:
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225

Unfortunately, Windows "security" features are
beyond our control.  ;-)  Or perhaps you did open
the CHM, but didn't install it where it needs to
be for Windows to find it, as described in par.
1.4.1, "Install Mif2Go", in Step 5?  Otherwise,
the button *will* work.

>So here's a general plea: tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Read Chapter 5, "Converting to print RTF".  ;-)

>How can I get one Word (or RTF, I guess) file for the
>book as a whole instead of one file per .fm file?

It's a terrible idea, but if you insist, the directions
are in par. 5.3.2, "Producing a single RTF file from a
FrameMaker book".

>How can I get my graphics to show up at the right size?

Microsoft changed the rules for graphic size units in
RTF.  Twice.  So you need to specify the target Word
version, as explained in par. 5.12.7, "Preserving
graphics scale in Word".

>I'm on Frame 7.1, windows platform. My company is going
>to buy licenses soon, but I'm the lucky one who gets to
>play with the demo, learn how to make it work, and then
>train my department. Except I'm stuck.

If you didn't manage to open the CHM yet, you have
probably not been able to install, since that's where
the installation instructions are.  It's surprising
you get *any* results in that case.  If you can in fact
use the CHM, please do... it will save you much time.
The Index is especially thorough.

You can also access the OmniHelp version of the
1000-page User's Guide on line:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/ohusergd/

Or download any of a dozen versions of it, including
PDF and Frame itself, from:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm#Mif2Go_UG

>Thanks in advance; feel free to email me directly
>if it's too much clutter for the list.

HTH!