multiple references to the same footnote?

LW White lwwhite5 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 28 07:21:14 PST 2010

Hello all,

A client is working in a custom XML tagset, Frame 7.2. They have asked how they can have more than one reference to the same footnote. I have tried any number of things with no luck. My first thought was they could set up a cross-ref format pointing to the elemnum or paranum of the <footnote> element that would give them the number of the footnote, but that has not worked. The issue is that the method by which Frame assigns numbering is built into the Footnote-type element of the EDD; it doesn't use numbering building blocks and so I cannot figure out how to "get at" that number to pull it into the cross-ref. I also tried assigning a static number in an "id" attribute (just to see if it would work) and pulling that into the cross-ref but that has not worked either. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to accomplish this? The solution obviously needs to ensure that the cross-ref number is dynamic, changing according to the number of the corresponding footnote.

Thanks,
Leigh