Missing headers and page numbers in FM 8

rinch at Inficon.com rinch at Inficon.com
Mon Jul 12 11:05:43 PDT 2010

Have you installed the hotfix for XP printing? This hotfix solved my
missing material problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=952909

Richard

Brad Simmons <bsimmons at agleader.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
07/12/2010 11:39 AM

"'framers at lists.frameusers.com'" <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
cc

Subject
Missing headers and page numbers in FM 8

Dear Frame Users,

I am a long-time user of FrameMaker who has recently been plagued with a
problem that I've never encountered before: When I make .PDFs, I usually
have swaths of pages with some headers and some page numbers missing.

I am using unstructured FrameMaker 8 on a Windows XP platform to create
books that are usually more than 300 pages. When I go to print a book, I
first open up all of my chapters. Then I choose "File_Print Book" (I never
do "Save As PDF"). I print directly to .PDF, without making a separate
Distiller (.prn) file.

Beginning a few weeks ago, the .PDFs that were created had some headers
and page numbers missing. Usually, these missing headers and page numbers
were on consecutive pages - as an example, pages 20-40 would have missing
page numbers. I would then reattempt the creation of a .PDF oh, two, three
or sometimes four times, with the result that the exact same headers or
page numbers would be missing. The ironic thing is that these headers and
page numbers would appear as normal in the original FM files.

Fortunately, I have managed to get a successful .PDF created with all
headers and page numbers after my fourth, fifth or sixth try. But this has
changed a relatively quick process into an irritating process that takes
much, much longer.

Worse, the missing page numbers and header problem is appearing across
numerous files, in numerous books. And this problem has appeared out of
nowhere - It's as if one day I did not have disappearing headers and page
numbers, and the next day I did.

Hence I'm wondering: Why is this happening? And does anyone know how I
could fix this problem?

I described this problem one friend of mine who told me to re-create and
reassemble my book file from scratch. I did that, to no effect. This same
friend suggested that I first make a .prn file, but I have never seen the
value in taking this extra step - and when I tried this longer route to
PDF creation, it too didn't solve the problem. I also went to Adobe's
website and found several patches for FM 8. I downloaded those, and these
did not help either.

So now I'm grasping at straws - I'm increasing the amount of RAM in my PC
from 2 GB to 4 GB, just in case this .PDF creation woes have been caused
by a lack of memory. About the only other thing I could do would be to
upgrade from FM 8 to FM 9 but I don't know if that would solve the problem
either. Since I don't know the cause, of the problem I cannot guess at the
solution.

Does anyone else have other ideas to fix this?

Brad Simmons
Technical Writer
Ag-Leader Technology
Ames, Iowa