FM9 Newbie looking for best self training tools

Sarah O'Keefe okeefe at scriptorium.com
Mon Jul 12 13:23:18 PDT 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Jim Collins wrote:

> I do not have the book from Scriptorium for Frame 8 but based on the
> great
> reviews it always gets here in this list, I strongly recommend it.
>
> Everyone goes through a fairly long learning curve with Frame -
> probably an
> indication of how powerful it is. It took me several weeks to get
> comfortable with it too (7.0) even with the help of a friend who had
> been
> using it for years.
>
> Though it is undoubtedly better to get the newest book on Frame 8,
> if you
> can find a cheap copy of FrameMaker 7 - The Complete Reference (also
> by
> Sarah O'keefe), it is my current reference and so far has covered any
> questions I have while trying to use Frame 9 (unstructured).

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the positive reviews of the book(s). I just wanted to
clarify the relationship among the various books.

FrameMaker 5.5.6 for Dummies. Pretty sure it's out of print/
unavailable. 350ish pages.

FrameMaker 7: The Complete Reference. Out of print. Published by
McGrawHill-Osborne. Covers structured and unstructured FrameMaker 7.
850ish pages.

Publishing Fundamentals: FrameMaker 7: Available as a PDF only.
Published by Scriptorium Press (that's us). Nearly identical
pagination to FrameMaker 7: TCR. Content is identical except for
corrections. http://www.scriptorium.com/books/publishing-fundamentals-framemaker-7

Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 8: Available as PDF
or print. Published by Scriptorium Press. Covers unstructured
FrameMaker 8. 736 pages. This is an updated version of the
unstructured FrameMaker content from PF: FM7. http://www.scriptorium.com/books/publishing-fundamentals-unstructured-framemaker-8

We planned, but due to weak sales of the unstructured book did not
publish, a Structured FrameMaker 8 companion. We do not currently have
a FM 9 edition, or plans to produce one.

Regards,

Sarah O'Keefe

Sarah S. O'Keefe
President