FM9 Newbie looking for best self training tools

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:39:25 PDT 2010

> We planned, but due to weak sales of the unstructured book did not publish,
> a Structured FrameMaker 8 companion. We do not currently have a FM 9
> edition, or plans to produce one.

I would also like to mention that while the concepts don't really
change from one version of FrameMaker to the next, the mechanics of
how you do things does, particularly from FM8 and all prior to version
9. Adobe completely overhauled the FM9 UI, so much so that even with
my 12 years of experience with FM I still had trouble trying to get
features to work correctly (conditional text, I'm looking at you...).

So, ask yourself what you really need help with. Are you completely
lost and need conceptual direction, or are you looking for a how-to
(because previous version books will not help you much with regard to
how-to in FM9). The only how-to I know of for FM9 is Classroom In A
Book, and it seems you already found that unhelpful.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com