type vs enter

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 13:23:18 PDT 2010

Clara,
The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications, Version 3.0 states:

type vs. enter
Use type, not type in or enter, if information the user types appears on the screen. An exception to this rule is that you can tell users to "enter" a file name, for example, in a combo box when they have the choice of typing a name or selecting one from a list. You can also use a combination of words such as "type or select" if space is not an issue.
Correct
Type your password.
Enter the file name.
Type the path to the server or select it from the list.

Incorrect
Type in your password.
Enter your password.