Acrobat 9 - a disaster

Fri Jul 23 07:55:11 PDT 2010

Alison White wrote:

> I've just upgraded to Acrobat 9 and regret the decision. Not sure how to
> post my complaints, so {sorry}. If you can on-forward, I'd be grateful.

On-forward? To anyone in particular?

> With Acrobat 9, I cannot open a pdf inside any mainstream browser without
> it
> (Acrobat + browser) failing completely (zilch). To get anything to happen I
> have to set browser preferences to not open Acrobat in the browser.

Go to Edit > Preferences.  In the Internet category, make sure Display PDF in browser is checked.

> Then, within my pdfs, my www.links don't open a default browser window
> anymore (as expected) - instead I get a long-winded pdfised version of the
> web page (definitely NOT required)!!!

Sounds like it's converting the web page to PDF, as if you'd right-clicked the link and selected Open Weblink as New Document. I'm not sure how (or even if) that could become the default behavior; I don't see any preference setting for it. Maybe somebody else knows.

Could it be a property of the link? How are the links created?

> What the ? is going on?
>

> I'm not sure how to complain - but this is really NOT GOOD - I am about to
> abandon ANY idea of pdf, including LIVECYCLE FORMS, as a viable enterprise
> option.

Help > Online Support would be the place to start.

> Back to 8 with ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS TO AN UPGARDE OFFERED.

Sorry, I don't understand.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.