Acrobat 9 - a disaster

rinch at Inficon.com rinch at Inficon.com
Mon Jul 26 05:03:06 PDT 2010

Adobe has never understood how corporate IT departments work, and I've
come to realize that Adobe doesn't understand how corporations handle
multiple installations of Adobe products across a business network. Adobe
is focused solely on one installation on one computer handled by one
person who has all the rights to do everything. This is a complaint I've
had about FM for years and years, and the same goes for Acrobat. My IT
department gets so frustrated with Adobe technical support that Adobe is
only called if the problem seems unsolvable, and generally the advice we
get from Adobe is worthless. My IT department doesn't check for prior
installations nor do they remove old programs. IT simply installs new
programs based on whatever version of software they happen to have. If
Adobe does not want different versions of Acrobat on the same computer,
Adobe's installer should delete the old versions. If it's not kosher to
have, say, Reader and Acrobat Pro Extended on the same computer, Adobe's
installer should take care of the problem. We have computers with
different versions of Acrobat and Reader installed. It's not at all
unusual. We've got 100s of installations here. If problems occur that
cannot be solved, one either learns to live with the problems or IT will
wipe the hard drive and install their current "footprint". That's a very
heavy handed approach, but it's all about time and money. IT will only put
so much time towards "fixing" computer software, then they simply "wipe
it" and start again. Sorry, I can't do much. It's not my computer, it is
the corporation's computer on the corporation's network. I'm just allowed
to use the computer and network to do my job.

Don't get me wrong, I love Adobe products and I use TCS2 and Illustrator
daily. PDFs have simply become the norm for our business communications.
But, I do wish Adobe would get some clue as to how business networks and
IT departments work, and get away from Adobe's "single computer - single
administrator" mindset.

Richard