Acrobat 9 - a disaster

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Sat Jul 24 20:38:33 PDT 2010

I heard my name used in vain (if not on-line!).
In terms of Alison's original posting ...

The symptoms you describe with regards to Acrobat 9 are not standard
Acrobat 9 behaviour. You did not post exactly what Windows and/or
browser versions you are using, but we currently are unaware of any
normal situation that would yield the symptoms you describe.

I open PDF files in browser windows on a regular basis with Acrobat 9
with no problems whatsoever. Likewise, when I click on a URL in a PDF
file while in Acrobat 9, I get to the website in a browser window.

The only way you can get what you describe as a "PDFised version of
the web page" would be if you opened invoked "Create PDF=>From Web Page"
(Shift-CTRL-O) and that PDF would not be in a browser window. When you
click on a URL, Acrobat 9 normally prompts you as to whether to allow
you to open the web page (via a browser) or to block the access to the
web site. It NEVER creates a PDF file via clicking on a URL unless you
right-click on a URL and explicitly choose "Append to Document" or
"Open Weblink as New Document." There are no options or program preferences
which contravene this behaviour.

Any attempt to try diagnosing what's happening on your system would be
at best wild speculation but it would almost seem like there might be
"competing" PDF readers/processors concurrently installed on your system.
Be aware that Adobe does not support concurrent installation of multiple
versions of Acrobat on a single system (such as Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9
installed at the same time). Adobe does not recommend concurrent
installation of the same versions of both Reader and Acrobat on a system
(such as Acrobat 9 and Reader installed at the same time) or even worse
differing versions of both Reader and Acrobat on a system (such as
Acrobat 9 and Reader 8 installed at the same time). Even more so, we
certainly cannot vouch for what will happen if you have Acrobat or Reader
plus some other third party PDF reader or creator concurrently installed.
If you even have an inkling of how these programs integrate with drivers
and the browser(s) under Window, you will understand the chaos that such
mixtures of programs may engender to your system.

So, as a start, I would look at ALL the software installed on your system
and assure that there is only ONE, repeat only ONE PDF processing program
on your computer. If your system is "clean" in this regard, you might try
totally uninstalling any remaining version of Acrobat / Reader on your
system and then run a registry cleaner utility program to assure that
fragments of some previously installed "stuff" is truly eradicated from
your system. Then after rebooting, try installing Acrobat 9 from scratch
and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, please advise. Likewise, if this does resolve you
problem, likewise let us know. Good luck!

	- Dov