Acrobat 9 - a disaster

Tori Muir tmuir at spot-on-creative.com
Sun Jul 25 16:30:02 PDT 2010

> In terms of the ability to "see PDFs like they do," having Adobe Reader
> on the same system as Adobe Acrobat is not going to assist you. In terms
> of proper engineering and QA discipline, such testing should occur on a
> system that has only the operating system installed, no "extra fonts"
> installed, and Adobe Reader set with all default options. Otherwise, your
> tests are somewhat polluted by your environment.

Dov, we use this feature for 'testing' PDFs in which we have enabled
Acrobat Reader rights. We have a lot of clients who simply will not
spend the money to get Acrobat, so either we give them Reader-enabled
PDFs or they send us <<shudder>> hardcopy edits.  No idea why,  but
sometimes that rights-enabling doesn't 'stick', and we've sent a client
a PDF they could not add edits to.  So now we always open the saved PDF
in Reader to double-check it can indeed be edited in Reader (on a
separate computer that hasn't got Acrobat, I hasten to add).

tori