Active Areas from Frame-Generated Index(es)

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 21:15:40 PDT 2010

> Generating the index isn't a problem. It's the resulting PDF....the linking area doesn't
> extend to the entire index entry....only the leader dots and page numbering.

It is normal behavior for the active area in generated indexes to include only the page numbers and the leading punctuation. The reason is that it is completely normal to have a list of multiple page numbers for any given index entry. Whenever you have multiple page references it makes no sense to include the text of the index entry as part of the hotspot for the first page reference, and it makes no sense to have two different behaviors depending on single or multiple references, so the standard behavior is the one that's right for multipel references. This is one of the fundamental differences between a generated list (one entry per occurrence) and a generated index (multiple references per entry).

If you are generating a special kind of index where no entry ever has more than one page reference, it is possible to move the hypertext marker (or to create a duplicate copy) of each hypertext marker at the beginning of each index entry paragraph so that the active area includes the whole paragraph rather than just the page number. I believe someone has written a script to do this if you have FrameScript on your system. Or else you could generate it as a list rather than an index.

-Fred Ridder