Active Areas from Frame-Generated Index(es)

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Wed Jun 2 00:19:48 PDT 2010

Hi,

When you create an index, you will get two types of entries:
Some with a single reference and some with multiple references.

Apple........94
Pear.....95, 97

When there is only a single reference the link area in the resulting
PDF file encompasses the whole paragraph - provided that there is
really no change in the character formatting (page number, separator,
text). The link area does not start at the position of the marker
but extends in both directions of the marker until there is a change
in the character formatting or the paragraph ends. A change in character
formatting could also be a character format with everything set to As Is.
Test it out, e.g.:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/framemaker_9_help.pdf
Or the MML reference in the FrameMaker installation folder (at least for FM 8)

When you have more than one reference, then the first link area
encompasses the text, separator and first page number. The next link
areas encompass only the page number.

Therefore, when your link area encompasses only the page number and not
even the dots, then there is definitely a change in the character
formatting. Check how the page numbers and the separator (tab with dots)
are formatted.

Best regards

Winfried