Framemaker 9 vs Microsoft Word

steve at siliconprairiesoftware.com steve at siliconprairiesoftware.com
Wed Jun 2 11:57:55 PDT 2010

Regarding a couple of Frame's shortcomings....

Readability calculations
------------------------

I also wanted to do some better structural and readability analysis for
documents, but couldn't. I made Readability Tools to do that analysis.
Features of Readability Tools include determining document statistics,
calculating standard readability formulas, generating readability reports,
and producing lists and counts of all words used in a document or book.
The Flesch Reading Ease, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, ARI (Automated
Readability Index), SMOG, and Gunning Fog Index readability tests are
available.

Creating outlines
-----------------

When I'm writing technical docs, I like to create a traditional outline to
get the content organized. I really liked the outlining in Word 5.1 on the
Macintosh. (How old am I?!?!)I am not as happy with the outlining in the
more recent versions of Word. I did like the outlining template that uses
the auto-numbering in Frame, but found that it was difficult to push the
blocks of information around as I was working in the outline. So, I
created the Outline Tools plug-in for Frame that makes it easier to push
blocks of content around in an outline document.

You can read more about these tools at:

http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com

Steve