Is it possible to Save As PDF from FrameMaker 9 using Acrobat 7 on Windows7?

Ursula McCloy Ursula.McCloy at peergroup.com
Wed Jun 2 10:17:05 PDT 2010

Hi,

We have recently upgraded to Windows7, 64-bit, and were also able to
upgrade to FrameMaker9.  We have not yet committed to upgrading our
Acrobat 7 licenses (bundled with CS2; to upgrade that is ~$700 - a tad
steep for our tastes).

While we are pleased with our FM9 upgrade in general, we are unable to
SaveAsPDF, since the Acrobat PDF print driver does not appear to be
installed.  Of course, we could print to file using another print
driver, but that is not generally considered kosher, and can produce a
whole slew of other problems (fonts, colours, etc.) that I do not want
to wrangle with.
* Has anyone been able to get the Acrobat7 PDF print driver to install
on a Windows7 machine?
* If so, is there a particular install sequence we need to follow? (I am
pretty sure IT  remembered to install Acrobat after FrameMaker, but I
can't tell for sure)
* Are there any other options for generating reliable PDFs from
FrameMaker9 on Windows7, other than upgrading to Acrobat9?
* And (though this question is off topic) has anyone experienced any
show stoppers with using CS2 Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign on
Windows7?

Thanks for any insights :).

Ursula McCloy
Information Developer