PDF Size Optimization

Fri Jun 4 06:49:49 PDT 2010

Garnier Garnier wrote:

> I am using Framemaker 7.0.
>
> Recently received a two-page FM file – it is a cover page with logo and
> copyright. The copyright is a text inset. Not sure as to which FM version
> was used to create this file. The company that sent the file too is not
> aware of the version used.
>
> After including the cover page while updating the book, the tool prompts to
> perform the following actions: ( this happens if the document was created
> with an earlier version of FM than 6.0.)
>
> Format > Document > PDF Size – Options – Optimize size of – Specified
> document only and selected Forced Optimization –SET. Hyperlinks across book
> do not work – displays file not found error.
>

> Format > Document > PDF Size – Optimize file - Selected the coverpage.fm &
> when prompted for the text inset file to link pressed OK. Still the
> Hyperlinks do not work.
>
> Please note the checkbox for links were enabled in the PDF Setup dialog.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Minus the cover page all hyperlinks across books and
> chapters work fine.

I don't really understand your description, and I see you've already worked around the issue. But I'll throw something out for future reference. If the problem is that hyperlinks and/or xrefs in the text inset aren't "live," that's a long-standing, well-known bug (or missing feature, depending on your perspective). It has nothing to do with FM version or PDF optimization.

The workaround is to open and save all the files, "flatten" all the text insets (that is, convert them to text), create the PDF, and then close all files without saving. If you use lots of text insets, this process is best scripted.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom