RESOLVED: Inserting Frame Hypertext Links to PDFs

Graham, Jasmine S Yassamin.Graham at weatherford.com
Tue Jun 15 09:29:39 PDT 2010

All, a few hours after my post, I figured out the answer. Here's how I'm going to do it:

1.     Identify text that will become the hypertext (e.g., FILE-B_NAME).

2.     Apply hyperlink format (element in my case) to text making it underline and blue.

3.     Position cursor within hyperlink element immediately before the first letter of said text.

4.     Select Special>Hypertext. In Element Tag field, select Hypertext (which is my element name) (also can select Unstructured).

5.     In the Command field, select Open Document.

6.     Syntax field pre-fills openlink command. Syntax for my example is: openlink FILE-B_NAME.pdf

7.     Click New Hypertext Marker. Dialog appears stating designated file is not a Frame file. Click OK.

8.     Created PDF and tested hyperlink with PDF named as stated in Open Document command syntax.

If there are other ways or suggestions to do this, or perhaps to set up an element that automates a few of the above steps, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'm able to move on to the next challenge of the day!

Thank you again. Have a great day! J

Jasmine Graham

Technical Writer, Research and Development

Wireline Services

Weatherford │ 481 Winscott Road │ Fort Worth │ TX │ 76126