Columns in an Index

Fri Jun 18 11:25:52 PDT 2010

Thomas Scalise wrote:

> I have an Index, the first page of which remained one column while the
> rest was in two-column format. No matter what I did with the Format
> function, I could not get the first page into two-column format. I could
> change the whole index into one-column format...that worked. But, when I
> tried to change from that to two-column format the first page stayed in
> one-column format.

It's not clear how you were going about these changes. Presumably, your first page uses a custom master page with a name like First, not the default Right and Left. Did you attempt to change the text frame on that master page? Do this:

1) On the first page, select Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage and confirm what master page is being used.
2) Select View > Master Pages and go to that master page.
3) Ctrl-click the text frame to select it, and select Graphics > Object Properties.
4) In the Customize Text Frame dialog, under Columns, set Number to 2 and click Set.

The master page should now have two columns. When you return to the body pages, the first page should now have two columns.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.