FM9 and Russian Translation Problems

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Mon Jun 21 11:21:37 PDT 2010

FM 9 Version: 9.0p250
Unstructured
OS: XP Pro with SP3
FM Experience: 12 months
Translation/Localization Management Experience: 11 years
Writing Team: 1 (me)

I have just received my Russian User Manual translation back from the LSP and am encountering problems I haven't seen with any other language in FM. (I've handled Russian, Greek and Bulgarian in Word so I'm experienced with Cyrillic languages in general, but not specifically in FM.)

I may have to make the LSP fix these issues, but in the meantime, if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. At the very least I would like to understand the issue.

PROBLEM 1
-------------------
Although the auto-numbering of my Heading Para Tags appears to be correct - ie, identical to the English version - they are not showing up properly.

              ENGLISH                 RUSSIAN
Heading 1     A:Chapter <n+>:         А:Глава <n+>:
Heading 2     A:<n>.<n+>\t            A:<n>.<n+>\t
Heading 3     A:<n>.<n>.<n+>\t        A:<n>.<n>.<n+>\t

All Heading 1 Para Tags shows up correctly (with the word Chapter translated to Russian and the correct Chapter number) but Headings 2 to 4 are wrong. They all begin with 0.

Also, Heading 2, does not start to renumber itself in chapter 2. All Heading 2 numbering throughout the book is sequential from the first Heading 2 in Chapter 1. Within each chapter, Heading 3 seems to be sequential to the proceeding Heading 2, but it still has the goofy 0. numbering.

Appendices are wrong as well. Heading 1App is correct (with a letter instead of a number), but Heading2 App still leads with a 0. The only good thing is the Heading 2App starts numbering from the beginning (0.1) rather than continuing the numbering from the Chapters - however, all Heading 2App Para Tags are sequentially numbered within all Appendices just as they are within all Chapters.

Interestingly, Tables and Figures are handled correctly, although they actually specify the use of <$chapnum>

F:Figure <$chapnum>\+<n=1>:
F:Рисунок <$chapnum>\+<n=1>:

PROBLEM 2
-------------------
Is there any way to do a wholesale change to language settings? Instead of being set to Russian (or русско), all the Para and Char Tags seem to be set to None.

If I can't automate a fix to this (and I don't have FrameScript), I will definitely have to make the LSP fix it.

Any help is appreciated, Alison

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation
130 - 4311 Viking Way