A Graphics Library...Why?

Mon Jun 21 21:53:04 PDT 2010

Eduardo F. Cidade, Sr., wrote:

> I've built a specification for a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
> regarding building a Graphics Library (call it a database, tracker,
> whatever).
>
> One thing that gnaws at this old writer is the standard question:  Why?
>
> I could use reasons such as:
> Traceability
> Locating Graphics
> Documentation Mapping
>
> It's just eluding me as to a rock-solid answer on this.

No offense, but didn't you put the cart before the horse? The normal procedure, IMHO, is to determine the need first, and then create the business case and define the requirements, and _only then_ design the thing.

I'm reminded of those software engineers I've dealt with who, _after_ they've completed a new feature, write requirements to match what they've done. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom