Editing Multiple PDF Bookmarks

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Jun 24 01:45:33 PDT 2010

Karen,

You wrote:

>My Framemaker document contains dozens of academic subject area sections
>that each contain similar headings. Those headings translate to bookmarks
>when the document is converted to PDF. One such heading is for a faculty
>roster. The head identified for bookmarking reads "Professors" but the
>bookmark itself must read "Faculty." Since there are about 140 of these,
>I'd like to be able to edit the bookmarks in a batch. Is there a way to do
>this in Acrobat 9?
>
>Conditional text in the Frame file--to substitute "Faculty" for the
>current head--does not seem to be the answer here, because showing it
>would create a redundancy for the reader as well as alter pagination and
>text flow.
>
>Any options?

No way to handle this in FrameMaker or in Acrobat (other than manual editing).

Using the FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on, it is possible to
specify bookmark text replacement -- From>To (for the entire bookmark
text), or removing redundant strings (at the beginning of the bookmark
text), see http://www.microtype.com/TimeSavers/TimeSaversDlg.pdf , Bmk
Start tab). Once specified, such replacements apply automatically as part
of the distilling process.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants