Embedded fonts in PDFs

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Jun 30 00:33:15 PDT 2010

Amy,

You wrote:

>I'm using FM8 and Acrobat 8 professional.  I have a joboptions file
>that specifies to embed the fonts.
>Acroabat is looking for fonts in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, and is finding most of
>them.
>However, some of the fonts I use have a little arrow on the font icon
>displayed in the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder.
>I assume this means they are linked. The sources for these are in
>C:\PSFONTS\ and C:\PSFONTS\PFM.
>The fonts in the PSFONTS folder are *not* being embedded in the PDF.
>
>ALL of these fonts show up just fine in Adobe Type manager.
>
>How can I get the PDF to embed all the fonts, including those in the
>PSFONTS folder?

-- In Distiller, select Settings > Font Locations, and make sure that
C:\PSFONTS\ is included in the list of font locations (or add it otherwise).

-- In your job options (Settings > Edit Adobe PDF Settings), Fonts
category, make sure that the "Never Embed" list does not include the fonts
you would like to embed (as a general guideline, I recommend clearing all
entries in this list, so that all fonts are embedded, with no exceptions,
and having Subsetting turned on as well).

[Note: ATM is generally not needed with Windows 2000 or later OS; however,
I would not recommend uninstalling ATM if it is already installed, at this
could result in problems with PS font handling, unless ATM is
upgraded/inspected first]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants