Framemaker 9 and Paragraph Catalog Order

bwhansen at imftech.com bwhansen at imftech.com
Mon Mar 22 15:18:11 PDT 2010

After installing the Technical Communicator Suite 4 on my system
(WinXP), I was dismayed (as many others have been) that our list of
paragraph tags are in a different order.

When our tags were initially set up, the colon (:) was used to set the
order of the most commonly used tags.

Example:

::Head L1

::Head L2

:Body L3

:Body L4

Anchor

(and so on...)

This order was reversed in Framemaker 9 putting the symbols at the
bottom of the list.

The answer to this dilemma (for us anyway) was in the maker.ini file.

*Warning* Always make a backup copy before modifying settings in system
files!

Open the maker.ini file (usually found in the <drive>Program
Files\Adobe\<...>\Framemaker 9 directory)

SymbolSortingBeforeAlphaNumeric=off

Change the 'off' to 'on' and save the file. Restart Framemaker and the
symbols are listed first again!

Britton W. Hansen

Technical Writer

IM Flash Technologies, LLC.