Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended and Framemaker 9 vs. Framemaker 9 and Adobe PDFMaker Plugin

Spectrum Writing info at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue May 4 18:50:49 PDT 2010

All,

Two systems - both Win 7, 64-bit.

System 1 - Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended and Framemaker 9 (both patched and
current)

System 2 - Framemaker 9 and Adobe PDFMaker Plugin (FM9 fully patched and
current)

For System 1, because I have installed Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended and
Framemaker 9 as separate and standalone components, I obviously have access
to Distiller 9 as a standalone component. I can open Distiller, set watched
folders, set job options, etc.

For System 2, the user does not have Acrobat 9, so at the prompt to install
the Adobe PDFMaker Plugin (which provides the ability to create PDFS from FM
files, and other programs such as PPT), the user of course said yes;
however, since Acrobat Distiller is installed as part of a plugin, it does
not show in the Start menu, the program files directory, etc., so how on
earth can you set up watched folders, set up job options, etc? The Save as
PDF function works just fine, but I still located the Distiller .exe here:
C:\Program File(x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9 , and if you double-click on the entry
for Distiller.exe, Distiller doesn't open independently, if you right-click
on the Distiller.exe entry and save Send to Desktop as Shortcut, nothing
happens. I am assuming that it is for some reason because Distiller is
installed as part of a plugin and isn't truly a standalone app. under these
circumstances. Basically, I can't figure out how to get Distiller open on
its own so that I can set up watched folders, set job options, etc? Is this
not at all possible when using the PDFMaker Plugin with FM9 versus
installing it with Acrobat 9 or what am I missing?

Thanks so much!

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Owner/Principal